It is located at the northeastern entrance of the city, on the way to Marvdasht and Isfahan.
The gate was first built during the reign of 'Adud ad-Dawla. By the time of the Zand dynasty, it had sustained a lot of damage, so it was restored and a small room on top was added, in which were kept two hand-written copies of Quran by Sultan Ibrahim Bin Shahrukh Gurekani.
Travelers passing underneath the gates were believed to receive the blessing of the Holy Book as they began their trip or journey from Shiraz.
During the Qajar dynasty, the gate was damaged by multiple earthquakes; it was later restored by Mohammad Zaki Khan Nouri.
In 1937 the two Qurans were taken from the gate and were taken to the Pars Museum in Shiraz, where they remain today.