It is located in the southwest medina quarter of Marrakesh, near the famous public place of Jemaa el-Fna, and is flanked by large gardens.
The mosque was founded in 1147 by the Almohad caliph Abd al-Mu'min right after he conquered Marrakesh from the Almoravids. A second version of the mosque was entirely rebuilt by Abd al-Mu'min around 1158, with Ya'qub al-Mansur possibly finalizing construction of the minaret around 1195.[This second mosque is the structure that stands today.
It is considered a classic and important example of Almohad architecture and of Moroccan mosque architecture generally. The minaret tower, 77 meters (253 ft) in height, is decorated with varying geometric arch motifs and topped by a spire and metal orbs.