IQNA

FIFA VP Says Hijab Not Obstacle for Women

10:54 - April 30, 2012
News ID: 2314985
FIFA vice president for Asia Ali Bin Al-Huussein of Jordan, who waged a campaign against a ban on the hijab, believes the traditional Islamic headscarf should not prevent Muslim women from joining the Olympics.
“I think that the hijab will not hinder the participation of Muslim women in the Olympic Games,” Ali told AFP in an interview.
“The games will be a great opportunity for Arab and Muslim women to show their capabilities and prove themselves.”
FIFA, world football’s governing body, banned players from wearing the Islamic headscarf in 2007, claiming it is unsafe, but the International Football Association Board (IFAB) allowed women players last month to wear the hijab in games.
“Safety is important of course, but to date, there have been no reported injuries due the headscarf on the pitch,” he said.
“We all have a responsibility to ensure that all women who wear a headscarf are able to participate in the game they love. Football is a sport for all.”
IFAB will meet in July to ratify its decision to lift the ban on the hijab.
“We held a meeting in FIFA with designers of a safe headscarf as well as independent technical testing institutes in order to discuss the new designs,” Ali said.
“The decision now lies with the medical committee... which will give a recommendation to FIFA before the July meeting.”
The ban has become a pressing issue in the region, with the Iranian national women’s team forced to withdraw from the West Asia Olympic qualifiers last year and three players dropping out of the Jordanian side due to the ban.
Backing Ali’s efforts, the United Nations has urged FIFA to permit the hijab, saying players have “the right to wear a safe, Velcro-opening headscarf in FIFA-regulated matches and competitions.”
“I always support women. Personally, I was happy that my sister (Haya) competed at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games in show jumping,” he said.
Source: The News

captcha