IQNA

‘Formula Blood’ in Bahrain

14:40 - April 16, 2012
News ID: 2305990
Bahrain’s Shi’ites staged a great rally called ‘Formula Blood’ to voice their objection to the Formula One car race in the country.
Holding the race is important for the regime of Al Khalifa because it wants to prove that it has succeeded in ending the protests that began in February last year.
Last year, Formula One had cancelled the race because of the violence in Bahrain, but this year they have announced Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead while the ruling regime continues to repress its people, especially its Shia population, who are the majority in Bahrain.
Many Bahrainis in recent weeks had urged in their weblogs that Bahrain Grand Prix be called off because of the continuous repression of protestors.
The British Daily Sunday Times said hundreds of formula one engineers, mechanics and catering staff who have been in China for a race are reluctant to go to Bahrain because of the violent crackdown in the Persian Gulf state.
Meanwhile, Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone is said to have denied all knowledge of protests and violence in Bahrain, as a 15-year-old boy lay in intensive care after being shot by anti-riot police, AFP reported.
Bahrainis have been calling for political reforms for over a year now but the government’s response has been empty promises and air gun pellets. The government’s continuous violence against peaceful protests involves using tear gas and combat weapons and extensive arrests. But the crackdown will fail to wear out public protests.
The Al-Wifaq Movement, the greatest Shia movement in Bahrain, is planning to stage another great rally on April 22 with the motto of “Steadfastness and Resistance”. It is the same day on which the Formula One race is going to begin.
986851
captcha