IQNA

US Interested in Protracted War on Yemen

14:34 - January 28, 2016
News ID: 3458908
TEHRAN (IQNA) – The spokesman for Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement said the US has no problem with a prolonged Saudi war on the impoverished Arabian Peninsula country.

Mohammed Abdulsalam said Saudi Arabia’s daily bombings along with its naval blockade have exacerbated the crisis and complicated negotiations between the warring parties.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Lebanon-based al-Akhbar daily, he also criticized Washington for the failure of the recent UN-brokered peace talks in Switzerland.

US Interested in Protracted War on Yemen

"The United States thinks a protracted crisis in Yemen would benefit its interests in Syria, and the Middle East at large," Abdulsalam said.

"Even, the UN has realized that efforts to end the crisis in Yemen are futile because the aggression against the country continues unabated," he said.

Abdulsalam said warring sides in Yemen need to reach an agreement on a number of sticking points, including a new Constitution and the new government make-up, Press TV reported.

Last month, Abdulsalam accused Saudi Arabia of sponsoring and supporting terrorist groups which are wreaking havoc in Yemen's south.

The official said Saudi aerial attacks were also helping al-Qaeda- and Daesh-affiliated terrorists expand their footholds in northern Yemeni provinces.

Yemen has been under military attacks by Saudi Arabia since late March last year in a bid to undermine the Ansarullah movement and bring fugitive former president, Abd Rabbu Mansur Hadi back to power.

At least 8,278 people, among them 2,236 children, have been killed and 16,015 others injured since March. The strikes have also taken a heavy toll on the impoverished country’s facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools, and factories.

captcha