“If the foreign-backed terrorists had materialized the US and Zionists’ goals in the region, no military assault would have been launched against Syria”, Hossein Sheikholeslam told IQNA in an interview.
The diplomat, who is adviser to Iran's Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani on international affairs, added that the US and Israel had employed a number of mercenaries to provoke sectarian division and inter-tribal clashes in Syria but all of their efforts ended in vain as recent successful military achievements of Syrian army were a great blow to the terrorists.
Elsewhere in his remarks, he pointed to desecration of Islamic sanctities in Syria and reiterated, “Such acts are evidence for terrorists’ desperation in confronting the Syrian army and their [terrorists] attempts for gaining some certain extremist groups’ support”.
Sheikholeslam further said that Syria’s opposition groups are now mulling over diplomacy rather than military actions as the sole solution to the country’s crisis.
The Syrian state television reported last Sunday that Israel had attacked the Jamraya research center, located northwest of the capital, Damascus. The center had been targeted by another Israeli airstrike back in January.
The Sunday attack came shortly after Tel Aviv confirmed that its warplanes had hit another target in Syria on Friday.
Syria has been experiencing deadly unrest since March 2011, and many people, including large numbers of Syrian army and security personnel, have been killed in the violence.
1225358