According to Mostafa Feizi, an official with the custodianship of the shrine, the fire was controlled and put out in the shortest time possible and no one was injured in the incident.
The fire, he continued, erupted due to a short circuit in the battery of a parked cleaning machine in the Azadi courtyard of the shrine. Some inflammable materials and carpets near the machine were burned in the fire, he said.
He highlighted that the situation in the shrine is back to normal and pilgrims face no problems or limitations.
Situated in the northeastern city of Mashhad, the holy shrine of Imam Reza (AS) hosts millions of pilgrims every year from Iran and neighboring countries such as Iraq and Pakistan.