IQNA

Saudi Regime Needs to Resort to Sectarian Narrative of Protests

10:34 - January 04, 2016
News ID: 3458674
TEHRAN (IQNA) – Reza Kazim, with the Islamic Human Rights Commission, rejected the allegations that Saudi Arabia expressed against Sheikh Nimr, saying that the sectarian narrative raised by the Riyadh government is unfounded.

The Saudi regime, he said in an interview with Press TV, wished to take advantage of "the fact that people from the Sunni Wahhabi community had protested” in Saudi Arabia.

He added that Riyadh wanted to change the narrative into a Shia-Sunni strife instead.

The Al Saud regime needs to resort to the sectarian narrative of protests inside Saudi Arabia and also promote a sectarian narrative of the unrest in the Middle East to cover up its defeats in all fronts from domestic politics to its regional aggressive policies, including in the war on Yemen, he said.

Sheikh Nimr was among 47 individuals who were put to death on Saturday.

The senior cleric had been arrested in 2012 in the Qatif region of Saudi Arabia’s Shia-majority Eastern Province, which was the scene of peaceful anti-regime demonstrations at the time.

He had been charged with instigating unrest and undermining the kingdom’s security. He had rejected the charges as baseless.

captcha