In the petition, the group said the Nigerian Army carried out massive attacks on December 12 and 13, 2015 which targeted IMN members in Zaria.
It attached the list of members of IMN believed to have been killed, (216), those in detention (219) and those still missing (480) and said the list was still being updated, and did not reflect the total number of casualties of the attacks on Shia Muslims, Al-Alam news network reported.
The group said that the army committed crimes against humanity during the attacks and that Nigerian authorities were unwilling to investigate and prosecute those who committed the crimes.
"The operation resulted in the deaths of at least 1,000 unarmed civilians, mostly IMN members, killed by gunshots attributed to soldiers. Hundreds more were injured. There were reports that the military blocked access to medical care for the injured and shot at and killed wounded persons,” it said.
Witnesses and victims reported signs of widespread force and cruelty with allegations of looting, arson, mutilation, mass graves, torture, rape and other inhumane acts committed by the Nigerian Army during last year’s attacks on Shia Muslims.