IQNA

12:22 - March 07, 2020
News ID: 3470848
TEHRAN (IQNA) – Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said there had been no violations of the ceasefire in Syria’s Idlib, as part of the agreement with Russia, the defense ministry said on Saturday.

 

“We will continue to be a deterrent force to prevent any violation to the ceasefire. None occurred since ceasefire entered into force,” Akar said.

The ceasefire was reached in Moscow after talks to contain a conflict which has displaced nearly a million people in three months.

Turkey will use “self-defense rights” if there is any attack targeting its forces or bases in the region, Akar also said, Reuters reported.

The deal called for joint patrols of Turkish and Russian forces around M4 road in Idlib region starting on March 15.

Turkey has started to work on the procedures and principles of the safety corridor around the road, Akar said adding that a Russian military delegation will visit Ankara next week to discuss steps to take.

Russia and Turkey back opposing sides in Syria’s nine-year conflict, with Moscow supporting President Bashar al-Assad and Turkey backing some terrorist groups. Several previous deals to end the fighting in Idlib have collapsed.

 

Tags: Syria ، Idlib ، Turkey ، ceasefire
Name:
Email:
* Comment:
* captcha: