In letters to the UN secretary general and the chairman of the UN Security Council on Thursday, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said that preventing the Council from adopting stances in condemnation of these “terrorist acts” is “immoral” and encourages terrorism.
Terrorists conduct deadly attacks to silence the voice of the Syrians who oppose the presence of militants in the country, the letters included.
On January 16, at least 24 people, including Syrian security forces, were killed and dozens of others injured in three coordinated car bombings in the northern province of Idlib.
Over 80 people were also killed and scores of others wounded in two explosions carried out at Aleppo University in Syria’s second largest city on January 15.
The Syrian Foreign Ministry also stated that the attacks in Idlib had been organized to “avenge” protests held by Syrians calling for terrorists to leave the region.
Many people, including large numbers of security forces, have been killed in the turmoil that erupted in Syria nearly two years ago.
The ministry reiterated that Damascus was determined to fight terrorism under UN Security Council Resolution 1373.
On Thursday, Russia slammed the United States for its ‘blasphemous’ accusation that the Syrian government was behind the deadly explosions at Aleppo University.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on January 6 that Damascus was always ready to hold talks with the opposition and political parties and that he would call for a “comprehensive national dialog” after the terrorist activities stopped in the country.
The Syrian president also urged “concerned states and parties” to stop funding, arming and harboring militants.
Source: Press TV